Having ants in your home is not usually something that poses health risks or dangers, but it can be bothersome. No one likes sharing their home with bugs of any kind, including ants; however, you might not know how to get rid of them without using pesticides to accomplish this task. If you are looking for a natural way to eliminate the ants in your home, you may want to try using essential oils.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are liquids sold in small bottles that are designed for many uses. They are made from natural items, such as flowers and plant roots, and they are extremely concentrated. In fact, it takes 256 pounds of peppermint leaves to make one gallon of peppermint essential oil.
Essential oils can be used for healthcare purposes, cleaning, and pest control, but they are also used for a variety of other purposes too.
When buying essential oils, it is best to choose ones that are completely natural. As you begin using them, it is highly important to fully understand how to use them before you start. While some essential oils can be ingested, others cannot; however, they are all completely safe to use around your house for pest control purposes.
How Do You Use Essential Oils For This?
While there are hundreds of different types of essential oils, there are certain ones that tend to work well for pest control. Peppermint essential oil is one of these. Peppermint oil normally comes from the leaves and stems of mint and spearmint plants. It is commonly used for relaxation purposes, but it can also be used to eliminate ants in a house.
To use peppermint oil for this purpose, you can:
- Spray oil directly on the ants or on areas you see them – Place 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle and add 15 drops of peppermint oil.
- Pour oil on doorways – You can also place concentrated peppermint oil on the bottoms of all your doorways.
- Place cotton balls around house – Pour a couple drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls and place them around your house.
Peppermint oil not only deters ants, but it also has the ability to kill them. Ants become confused when they smell this aroma, and peppermint oil is considered a hot oil, which means it may burn your skin if it touches it. Because of this, it is potent enough to kill most types of ants.
While peppermint oil is the most common type of oil used for eliminating ants, you can also use cinnamon, clove, and eucalyptus oils. Ants do not like any of these scents, and they will run the other way when they smell them. You can use any of these types in the same ways as you would use the peppermint oil.
What Other Steps Can You Take To Get Rid Of Ants?
Using natural products is the safest way to get rid of ants because many pesticides can be more harmful than good, but you may also want to:
- Contain your food supply – Ants are looking for food, and they will eat it off the floors, counters, or pantry. Make sure you place all your food items in airtight bags or containers so the ants have nothing to eat.
- Clean your house – If you have crumbs on your floors or counters, clean them. Use a disinfecting cleanser to scrub them well and do this often.
Getting rid of ants is not always an easy task, but it is necessary. If you try essential oils and do not have any luck, contact pest control services for help. Visit http://desertpest.com to learn more.